Nov 17, 2013, 8:31 PM EST
What’s the secret to Nick Foles’ success this season? It’s quite simple, really. He just goes to work every day and tries to improve at his craft—that, and he channels the likes of Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.
Foles said it, not me. Upon leading the Eagles to a third-straight victory on Sunday, the second-year passer discussed how he’s been able to avoid throwing an interception in 162 pass attempts this season. During his postgame press conference, Foles credited studying the Mount Rushmore of active NFL quarterbacks for his success in that aspect. As transcribed by Alex Smith of PhiladelphiaEagles.com:
“You watch some of the top guys in the league – Peyton (Manning), (Drew) Brees, (Aaron) Rodgers, (Tom) Brady – they’re really good at decision-making. They’ll take a shot when they can, but if they have something open short, they’re going to take it. They’re smart with the football. You don’t want to put the football in harm’s way, because if the other team gets an interception or a fumble and it’s their ball, it’s different than a punt. It’s a momentum change, and that’s something that I really worked on.”
Per CSN’s Reuben Frank, Foles now owns the second-longest streak of attempts without an interception in franchise history, passing Donovan McNabb’s strak of 187. Michael Vick is No. 1 on that list with 224, but Foles will have a shot at passing his mentor as early as next week.
It’s interesting Foles would bring those names up, as he’s been compared side-by-side with some of those future Hall-of-Famers in recent weeks. He joined Peyton Manning as one of only seven quarterbacks to throw for seven touchdowns in a game recently, while his 128.0 passer rating this season still tops them all.
Yet by no means was Foles being cocky by rattling off a list of Super Bowl champion quarterbacks. The thing you’ve got to love about this kid is he still sees room for improvement in his recent performances, and the whole team’s for that matter. Foles says they are not content with anything yet—and from the sound of things, he never will be.
“We’re in a good spot and it feels good, but we still have work to do,” said Foles. “That’s the beauty of it. We have a lot of work to do and guys know that. Guys go to work knowing that we haven’t arrived. You never arrive. You’re going to work and see what you didn’t do well. You’re going to see what you did do well, but you go to practice and the guys want to get better each week.
Not to be funny, but that’s something else all the great quarterbacks share—they’re never satisfied. Obviously, Foles isn’t on the same plane as Manning, Brees, Rodgers and Brady, perhaps he never will be. The 24-year-old just keeps on winning games though, and he’s doing it through hard work and by playing mistake-free football. How could you not be excited about his promise?
>> Foles Proud To Help Deliver Home Win [PE.com]
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return