Dec 3, 2006, 5:09 AM EDT
Later today, Cole Hamels will take the mound for the Phillies in their first playoff appearance since 1993. It’s a day Cole has likely dreamed about his whole career. It’s a day Phillies fans have most certainly dreamed about for the better part of the last decade and a half.
The last time the Phillies played in the post season I was 12 years old. A lot has changed since then and the Phillies have lost quite a few games along the way. To say I have any idea what to expect today would be a lie. Like Cole, this is new territory for most of us.
One thing I am sure of is that this group of guys who will take the
field today are the kind of guys you can truly get behind. Sure they
ran into more than a few bumps on the road to get here but today
everybody’s record is 0-0. Forget the putrid April, all this team
needs is eleven wins. Eleven wins in the next month and we get that
mythic parade down Broad Street.
I’m looking to guys like Aaron Rowand, who has one of those nice
phat blingy looking things on his finger, to set the atmosphere in the
clubhouse. You think Jamie Moyer isn’t ready for this series? You
think Chase Utley is going to be timid out there because it’s his first
post season appearance? Hell no. This team has balls. Let’s just
hope they have the good bullpen and not that schizophrenic one.
In come the red hot Colorado Rockies. That’s fine. They’re due. Due to cool off.
going to be a battle. I feel oddly confident. Perhaps caused by the
fact that Sunday’s game was so electric. That vibe hasn’t really
stopped floating around the South Philly air since.
Hell, I don’t know what to expect. I just want the Phillies to win.
Cole’s on the mound today with Kendrick, Moyer, and Lohse lined up to follow.
Adam Eaton can’t blow this one.
It’s time for Cole, Chase, Jimmy, Ryan, and Pat to define their
careers. And hell, Cole once climbed the nine highest mountains of the Rockies in one day and carved the letter ‘K’ into their peaks. That’s a fact.
I may be back here around 3:00 to do some live blogging. So you people stuck at work — god forbid — check back.
Enjoy the Phillies playoff game today, folks.
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money