Jun 12, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
ARDMORE, Pa. — What you see above is the 15th hole at Merion Golf Club. The wooden stumps at the bottom of the picture serve as the out-of-bounds markers for the hole. And you’ll notice, if you follow them on a straight line, that they get closer and closer to the fairway.
So just how close to do they get?
Try about one foot. That stump — and there are others just as close — is about one foot off the 15th fairway. The official out-of-bounds “point,” if you if you will, is based on the inside of the stump (the side closest to the fairway). If you’re even with the stump, or beyond it, you’re OB. If you’re wondering why the other stumps are sticking out of the ground and this one isn’t, it’s because the tournament committee didn’t want the taller poles deflecting balls back in play.
And with that, welcome to Merion Golf Club and the 113th playing of the United States Open Championship.
Whether you’ve already been here, haven’t got here yet, or won’t be making it out and just want to see what the place looks like, here’s 15 pictures for you to rummage through.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money