Jan 20, 2009, 5:06 PM EDT
When you're talking about Ryan Howard, it's always big news. When you're talking about that much money, it's ginormous news.
$18 million is nearly double the the figure he was awarded last year in arbitration, which would be some raise for the slugger. Cannot deny the numbers or the impact he has just from being in the lineup, but that's a huge jump for a hitter who was batting below .200 until June practically. The Phillies offer surprisingly didn't come in too cheap, but the $14 million price tag is quite a difference.
Howard's number was the third highest ever requested since the arbitration began in 1974.
(Update: Joe Blanton avoids arbitration with a 1 year deal worth $5.475 million.)
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return