Dec 25, 2006, 9:40 AM EDT
Okay so that wasn’t quite the start to the road trip we were hoping for. The Flyers got downed by the Panthers 4-3 last night, but there were some highlights and encouraging trends continuing despite the loss. Joffrey Lupol kept his hot streak going with a goal and an assist, giving him 6 points in his last 5 games. Jeff Carter scored his 5th of the season, and Danny Briere and Mike Richards added assists to their point totals. Finland’s Lasse Kukkonen responded to yesterday’s post with a goal that got the Flyers to within one, but it wasn’t enough to withstand his countryman Olli Jokinen’s 2 goals to lead the Panthers.
On the not-so-bright side, Marty Biron had to face too many shots (42 total, 15 in the 3rd period), and eventually that’s going to result in a hole the scorers can’t dig out of. We knew that .952 save percentage wouldn’t last forever, but it’s tough when he’s not getting the support. Simon Gagne left the game with dizziness after a hit on his first shift and did not return. He’ll be evaluated today, but it isn’t anticipated to be found-in-a-cold-bath-by-then-player-Keith-Jones bad.
Although it was a loss, it’s still good to see that the young Flyers are stepping up in ways they didn’t last season, and that the new guys are producing like we hoped they would. We’ll see if it continues tonight against the Lightning, by far the tougher of the two Florida teams. Highlights after the jump.
|findingclues4u on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Drew P on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Drew P on Flyers send down leading goal-…|
|KingOfNothing on Photo: Claude Giroux can do an…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return