Jan 30, 2005, 12:41 PM EDT
Thanks to Bryan for sending me this link; it talks about the Boston College legend who also happened to be a Philadelphia Eagle.. and it’s not Mike Mamula. Unfortunately Jack Concannon recently passed away, but this article gives a great look at the man’s storied past.
He was the BC Flutie before Flutie, the standard against which all post-1963 Boston College quarterbacks were to be judged.
Concannon emerged from BC as the school’s all-time passing yardage leader, despite not playing QB in his first seven games. He was the 1963 winner of the Bulger Lowe Award as the premier college football player in New England. And he was the object of a bidding war between the Patriots, who drafted him No. 1, and the Eagles.
As badly as the Patriots wanted the BC guy, he signed with Philadelphia for a very good reason: They offered twice as much money. That led him into a 10-year NFL career for the Eagles, Bears, Packers, and Lions, his best year coming for Chicago in 1970, when he threw for 2,130 yards. His career rushing average was a predictably impressive 4.7 yards per carry.
Oh, yes, ”Brian’s Song." He was a very close friend of Brian Piccolo’s.
Anybody have a home movie of the Serpentine Run hanging around? The grandkids deserve to know just how great Poppy was on those glorious Saturday afternoons before anyone ever heard of ”SportsCenter." Or Doug Flutie.
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money