Jason Kelce to compete at Wing Bowl

Jan 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Jason Kelce

Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce could be mildly described as a Pro Bowl snub this year. That’s a position where a lot of the voting is based on reputation, so even though he graded as the best overall center according to metrics site Pro Football Focus, it’s tough for a third-year player to earn an invitation.

So no Pro Bowl and no Super Bowl for Kelce. How ‘bout the Wing Bowl?

No doubt about it. Kelce announced on the 94WIP Morning Show on Tuesday that he will compete at Wing Bowl 22 on January 31st at the Wells Fargo Center, with co-host Al Morganti describing the 26-year-old as a “full participant.” Here’s the full story from Kelce via the radio station’s web site:

“Absolutely, no question. I would love to eat in the event, no doubt. I didn’t think that was an option,” Kelce said. “The only thing that can be bad about it is, I probably won’t come close to those guys. I’d trim the beard down a little bit, but it’s still probably going to get a little messy. I am saying yes. I will definitely, without question, eat in Wing Bowl.”

Hm. While I rather enjoy the idea of Kelce eating wings against some of the best gurgitators in the world, I can’t say I approve of this beard-trimming he speaks of—though I understand completely. I’m just not sure that’s what’s best for the Eagles.

Remember the past couple years when many fans lamented the Birds didn’t have any “likeable” players? Yeah, I’d say that’s solidly a thing of the past.

>> Jason Kelce Will Eat At Wing Bowl 22 [94WIP]

1. Enrico Campitelli Jr. - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I wonder how this fits into Chip’s healthy eating plan. Maybe he just needs to wash the wings down with a strawberry banana protein smoothie?

2. willh888 - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I believe he needs a nickname

• death from above - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

He does and he has one as of now.

“Center of Attention”

3. Marvin Monroe - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM

So next season, when the Eagles are the NFL team with a MRSA outbreak, we will have the when, where and why it happened.

4. Jim - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM

The Wing Bowl has been a joke for years. It is nothing but an excuse to trot out a bunch of ugly tattoed strippers as Wingettes. Angelo, Rhea and Al are also old news and once Angelo retires they will all be gone.

The Eagles shouldn’t allow one of their players to take part in this stupid stunt!

• death from above - Jan 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Dude…

It’s a Philladelphia Mardi Gras. Enjoy the ugly strippers and food and beveredges. A man isn’t allowed to eat a few wings and look at scantily clad women for a couple of hours? Thats just not American.

• Conrad - Jan 22, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Quintessential white trash “Death from above.”

• death from above - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Thank you for your kind comment, Conrad and if you try real hard, you could be something too!

5. Nixon - Jan 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Well put Jim…I’ve been listening to those buffoons recently and events like this just glorify Philadelphia as a haven for underachieving fat a&& slobs. Funny how WIP never told anyone what those nigs were saying to the women Reily Cooper was with that night…..but here again, white Philadelphians just love getting Flash Mobbed so they never stand up for themselves. DeSean had 1600 yards….hey Angelo…who the hell was taking out the linebackers and safety so he could have those 50 plus runs? Jackson? You have a black mayor and white trash cow towing to Predatorynigs who could care less about you. Good effing luck Philadelphia. “Duh….but at least wez gets to stuffs our fat face at Da Wing Bowl….duh.”

• Mark - Jan 22, 2014 at 1:48 AM

I meant Mcoy had 1600 yards….as soon as he got past the line of scrimmage, who was taking out the linebackers and free safeties? Jackson? Hahaha. Did no one see the first game against Washington? Cooper was wide open for a touchdown…standing in the end zone by himself but Vick never even saw him….funny because th announcers even commented on it. Keep getting Flash Mobbed Philadelphia….and keep impressing, whining, shouting that you’re not a rascist whn you call WIP….get some balls Philadelphia….stop hating yourself because your white…..want to turn very thing over and have this become Somalia

• death from above - Jan 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

You sir just hit the Jackpot for the magic word.

I have it on good authority that” Somalia “has never been cited on the 700 Level

• SnarkleDingus - Jan 22, 2014 at 1:50 AM

You need help.

6. dubeedubeedu - Jan 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Nixon/Mark you could have made every one of your points in an intelligently thoughtful manner without the use of the racist tirade. That would have at least given your points some credibility. When you start ranting like a 2 year old who’s blanky was taken from him you turn off your audience to whatever valid points you actually may have. Yes, Cooper was a big part of the post Vick offense and his blocking skills are often overlooked all together or at the very least in a lesser light than deserved. True the WIP morning show jumped the shark back when the dirty thirty went to the draft, and our region’s real fans are being insulted on a daily basis with the garbage they put out on the airwaves, but unfortunately those fans don’t get a voice on the station at that time of day and until they do we’re stuck with it.
    Now see how easy that was? I didn’t have to call some one any names and still made my points clear to all.

7. joe - Jan 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM

that’s awesome!!..now that is being part of philly..lol

8. JMRA - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Reblogged this on Joe Montana's Right Arm and commented:
    Well, at least the Eagles are in a Bowl.