Feb 17, 2009, 12:28 PM EDT
By most accounts, Jeff Francoeur is a solid guy. I've sat just a few rows back in the outfield at CBP and watched him have some fun banter with Phillies fans. He just seemed to get that baseball is supposed to be fun, and treating the opposing team's fans like children — *cough* Melky *cough* — isn't a good way to go to work everyday.
Unfortunately for him, his 2010 season is doomed because he dressed up like Santa at the Mets' holiday party.
At the very end of an article in the New York Times on Tuesday about the Mets going from bystanders to buyers, there's a wonderful nugget that will put you in the holiday spirit. If your name is Scrooge, that is.
Jeff Francoeur played Santa Claus
at the Christmas party, a role that has often come with its share of
misfortune the following season. In 2004, Mike Cameron played Santa,
then had a serious outfield collision with Carlos Beltran the following
August that put him on the disabled list for the remainder of the
season. In 2005, Kris Benson was Santa and was then traded to the Orioles
a month after the party. It is believed his wife Anna’s provocative
attire at the party contributed to the trade. In 2007, John Maine was
Santa and had an injury-plagued season, and last year it was Mike
Pelfrey, who struggled in 2009.
This likely means only one thing, the real Saint Nick is a Phillies fan and doesn't like when a stinkin' Met tries to steal his style.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return