Jerry Jones doesn’t hire a GM because he’ll just ruin the Cowboys anyway

Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

jerry-jones

The Philadelphia Eagles got knocked down a peg on Sunday, but that’s okay, because the Dallas Cowboys in December. Tony Romo shoulders a lot of the blame for their historic collapse—as well he should—but let’s not forget their porous defense, clueless coaching staff, and most of all, the man behind the curtain.

It’s a Dallas fan’s greatest lament that Jerry Jones will still be the club’s general manager after this season ends, and every other season, because Jerry Jones isn’t going to fire Jerry Jones. Not only does the owner of the Cowboys admit he’d just meddle with a proper GM anyway, at 71 years of age, Jones seems blissfully unaware that he may not have all the answers.

Per Tim MacMahon for ESPNDallas.com, Jones talked about why he won’t replace himself as the top decision-maker on all matters of personnel for a local radio interview.

“It’s often said that, why don’t I get someone to be the GM?” Jerry Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan. “Why don’t I get someone to pick the players? Well, who in the world do you think that person when they walk through the door and say, ‘We want to get this player or we want to pay this player,’ what in the world do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to sit down and I’m going to go through it and I’m going to say, ‘Show me the player. Show me everything about the player before I write the check. Show me the player and let me see everything about the player.’

“Well, rather than that have happen, I get involved in it and know everything about the players before they get to the door. That, if you’ve got the time to do it, that’s a better way to do it.”

I rather enjoyed MacMahon’s interpretation of Jones’ speech, too.

Why hire an architect when you’ve got time to decide how you want your house to look, right? Never mind that you keep building houses with leaky roofs and crumbling foundations.

The Cowboys have only won one playoff game in the last 17 years, and while Jones would tell you he was responsible for their three Super Bowl wins in the 90s, anybody who was around the team would credit Jimmy Johnson for building that dynasty. The man is living in denial, which has made for some great theater for Eagles fans.

>> Jerry: ‘Why don’t I get someone to be GM?’ [ESPN]

182 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jeff Stevenson - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

2. patti - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This is why Jerry is losing Cowboy fans left and right. He only cares about himself, not the Cowboy fans. He has destroyed what respect the Cowboys have had in the league. Yes, he is a smart business man, but he is not a football man. Jerry is the laughing stock of the NFL and he is too arrogant to see it.

• monkeypaws - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Patti, you are dead on. I grew up during the Tom Landry era. The Cowboys had an owner, GM, and head coach. All 3 men were humble and non assuming. None of these 3 men needed the spot light. Each person did his particular job without the need of media attention. I knew Tom Landry was the coach but I had to research the team to find out the names of the GM and owner. I would compare the Cowboy organization during this era to the present day San Antonio Spurs organization. An organization built on humble professionalism. I can’t express enough in simple words my extreme disappointment and frustration when it comes to what Jerry Jones has done to thisorganization. It has come to a point where I believe Jerry Jones is mentally ill. I have had to deal with men that trully were ego-maniacs, but Jerry takes it to a level which I have never experienced. I don’t know whether to feel sorry for him or loathe him.

• Lol@RevisionistHistory - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Didn’t Clint Murchison steal Gill Brandt’s wife? Doesn’t quite sound much like a humble, professional owner. And didn’t that same Clint Murchison have to sell the team to Bum Bright because of impending bankruptcy due to his cocaine problem? Jerry sucks, but lets not make a choir boy out of a very arrogant and self-absorbed wife stealing coke fiend.

• Daxon - Dec 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

#%*!@% You, Al Davis, now Jerry’s all alone at the top!!!

3. Mike - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Can we PLEASE end this nonsense of the Cowboys being “America’s Team”??? They have won ONE playoff game in 17 years!! For the love of GOD, they are NOT America’s Team, they are “Jerry’s Team” and you all see the result. But, they all still line up for tickets, buy tons of merchandise and root for this bag of dolts. There’s a reason nothing has changed, WHY should it??? Sure, Jerry will say he wants to win a SuperBowl, and I am sure part of him does. But you have to ask yourself, if that were really true, wouldn’t he by now have realized it’s NOT going to happen while he is meddling in everything??? Truth is, it’s much more important for him to have control than it is to win. Like it or not, that’s the truth as evidenced by 17 years of terrible coaching, drafting, playing etc. all under JJ’s watch.

• Ronnie Lindsey - Dec 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If Cowboy fans want things to change stop buying tickets to Cowboy games and stop buying Cowboy merchandise!! The only thing that will get Jerry Jones’ attention is repeatedly having a half empty stadium during televised home games. Big losses of revenue is the only thing that will make him consider changing. Forget business, if he can’t see his way isn’t working after one playoff win in 17 years, then from purely a football standpoint he is an idiot!!!! I would never keep spending money to see Dallas play with that kind of crap going on. Jerry Jones will only change if he is basically forced to!!!! I don’t see him changing voluntarily. He hasn’t after 17 years and counting. The incredibly stupid loss to the Packers had over 90,000 fans in attendance. Cowboy fans are feeding the insanity that is Jerry’s world!!!!!!!! Jerry is right, the rest of the world is wrong!

• Holly - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ronnie, If only it were that simple! When they don’t sell enough tickets, Jerry buys them and donates them, which means he gets to write them off. Even during the 1-win season, we never had the game blacked out, which happens frequently with the Raiders. Now that Al Davis has passed, Jerry is going to get more and more bad press, not that he’ll believe it.

4. Kim Lloyd - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Jerry proved himself in last 17 years that he is a loser and had brought the team down with him.a bunch of losers on his coaching staff.i have followed the Cowboys since the Ice Bowl.they never won the Super Bowl every year but how many NFC titlles did Tom Landry win? They were always in the middle of it each year.now I won’t wear my Cowboy hat out in public.should have spent money he gave Romo on some defense.

• Brian Sweger - Dec 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

That’s what the rest of the leagues fans always knew about COWGIRL fans it’s not about the team,it’s only about winning . Winning is important but for some teams fans it’s not the win it’s a life style our fight song is a ‘love song’ not just sung when our team wins . We believe in letting our team know when they are wrong but we never stop wearing our colors . Don’t brake a leg jumping off that wagon , we’ve watched this happen before , the only way we who the COWGIRL fans are is when their winning , see you around FAIR WEATHER we’ll see you when the clouds have cleared!!! IF THEY EVER DO !!!! P.S. – WE LOVE TONY & JERRY KEEP THEM AROUND TO THE JOY OF THE REST OF AMERICA’S FANS !!!!!

• mike - Dec 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM

me too, first game I remember watching was the Ice Bowl – Cowboy fan ever since

5. Mike - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Wow, I thought the Bears D was bad until I watched them play the Cowgirls. Backup QB led them to I think 8 out of nine scoring drives. The only one they didn’t score on was a kneel down. lol That’s just pathetic D there. Then I watched them play the Packers. Holy cow, what a collapse! I can’t say that I have seen anything like it in quite a while. How the hell do you blow a 23 point halftime lead???? Oh yeah, Romo was the QB, never mind. I had to laugh though, all they had to do was RUN THE BALL and the game was over. What does genius do??? Throws a pick!! That was hilarious. He should be sat down and replaced with Orton to be honest. At least Orton will listen to the coach. Speaking of which, I wonder if Garrett gave Romo instructions prior to the second to last drive? Such as, “Look, we NEED to run the ball, make them use their timeouts and kill clock. DO NOT throw the ball unless WE call a pass play!!”. I highly doubt it, and if he didn’t, part of the blame goes to him as well. There’s no excuse, that was just football stupid.

6. Hindenburg - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

My vacuum stopped working…I put a Cowboy’s sticker on it and it sucks again!

Growing up they were my all-time favorite team, but I haven’t liked them for decades now!

7. steve - Dec 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

5 RING CIRCUS

8. 2sentz - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Wow what a bad day to be a Cowboy’s fan’s caps-lock button.

9. Paul - Dec 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Look….no one i talk to has any admiration for Jerry. Money can”t buy friends…then it gets lonely. Dallas is stuck with a non performing GM who would have been fired 16 years ago….he is terrible!