Nov 6, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
Joe Frazier is once again fighting. Unfortunately all of us, this time, it’s against an opponent even his legendary left hook can’t stop.
It is our sad duty this morning to bring you the news that Philadelphia boxing legend “Smokin’” Joe Frazier is in failing health. Reports broke Saturday evening that the former champ and all-time great has been taken to a Philadelphia-area hospice facility, and is in the final stages of an aggressive form of liver cancer.
Our condolences go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.
There’s plenty that can and will be said about the career of Joe Frazier over the coming days. But, for now, we’ll leave it to George Foreman to sum up what we all know, or at least should know, about one of the greatest competitors the sport has ever seen. Long before his lean-mean-fat-grillin’ machines, you may remember Foreman as the A-No. 1 Baddest Man on the Planet. As he reveals below, there wasn’t a single man on this earth—including Muhammad Ali—who scared him in the ring.
Save, of course, for Joe Frazier:
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money