Jan 28, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
They might as well change the name from Citizens Bank Park to Jurassic Park since it will be home to the prehistoric Philadelphia Phillies in 2014. The roster is old in a way that’s both funny and sad at the same time, and nothing is going to change that right now.
Help is on the way though—eventually. One year after rating the their farm system 27th out of 30 Major League Baseball organizations, ESPN’s resident scouting guru Keith Law has the Phillies making a big jump in his latest rankings, all the way to 14th.
It’s not infielder Maikel Franco or lefthander Jesse Biddle who have the Phils’ farm back on track though, two top-100 prospects who are gaining in hype and name recognition as they draw nearer to the big leagues. On the contrary, Law likes what he’s seeing at the lower levels.
Similar to Texas but with fewer prospects who are potential grade 65 or better players in the majors. I thought the Phillies had one of the best drafts, perhaps the best of anyone, in 2014, landing a few high-ceiling high school kids — such as shortstop J.P. Crawford — while mixing in some solid college bats like catcher Andrew Knapp.
I’m sure he meant in 2013, seeing as the ‘14 draft has yet to occur, but I digress. That sounds promising, even if most of those players are all years away from being big-league ready.
Also of note, the Phillies’ farm system ranked second in the NL East, so while the club might be headed for a last-place finish this year, they’ll sure show those guys in 2019!
>> Ranking all 30 farm systems [ESPN]
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money