Jan 22, 2008, 9:10 AM EDT
The Phils have been criticized in the past for their reliance on hitting home runs to generate offense. In a small park, it’s not the worst problem to have, but we’d all agree the team was clearly at its best when it could mix in some small ball between the dingers, because when the latter goes cold, it can get ugly.
But in the 2008 postseason, the Phils chose life and found their strokes, getting timely blasts up and down their lineup. Ryan Howard. Pat Burrell. Chase Effing Utley. Shane Vic! Jayson Werth. Carlos Ruiz? Yep. All ‘em. And Matt Stairs. And Jimmy Rollins. Eric Bruntlett. Joe Blanton! In 14 games, they went deep 19 times. Some broke ties, some put a period at the end of a starter’s death sentence. Some barely cleared the fence, and others rose slow and fell fast, white and against a dark sky or hardly visible among a cresting wave of CBP fans.
After the jump, every Phillies 2008 playoff homer in all its glory.
The next video shows just the World Series homers with only the sounds of the game.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money