Jun 24, 2008, 8:29 AM EDT
As we get ready for a late-night series with the A’s in the city by the City by the Bay, we thought we’d start the morning with a look around the ‘Nets.
- Meech gets us started as only he can with some thought-provoking questions, such as how Ryan Howard got the nickname Big Brown in the locker room, and what’s so Magic about So Taguchi? [The Fightins]
- In one helluva response to being suspended by DNL, Bill Conlin shows us again why he’s still the man. [Conlin]
- The Phils have been struggling over the past week plus. The Mets have been struggling most of the season, including last night, when Felix Hernandez jacked a grand slam off of Johan Santana. King Felix became the first AL pitcher in like a million years to hit a grand slam. Fortunately for Santana, who had allowed two hits in the inning, David Wright’s error with two outs negated the runs from being earned. We’re still counting them, but Wright says he’ll take the blame. [USS Mariner via WoW] [MetsBlog]
- If you’re into the the whole blogging scene thing, chances are by now you’ve heard about the LA Times report that we’re all playing nicer now that more people are reading our dribble. We hadn’t really paid much attention to the trend, but we won’t argue that it hasn’t happened in some places, particularly since the Times directly quotes some Big players in the field. Anyway, we’re wide-eyed at the bloody-yet-good-intentioned(?) backlash. With Will Leitch on his way from Deadspin to New York Mag, we can only hope for more blaze-of-glory posts as the week unfolds. Haven’t seen Will go off like this in a while, maybe ever. Was McIntyre deserving of that kind of ire though? [Deadspin] Update: Annnnd.. Touché. [Dave Lozo] There’s no shortage of opinion on this topic, ranging from who’s right and who’s wrong, but we’re also hearing a lot of "who cares?"
- Stephen Starr is buying the Broad Street Diner [D-Mac]
- The inevitable finally happened—Larry Mendte got axed by CBS for reading Alycia Lane’s e-mail. Look at you sitting there passing judgment. Like you wouldn’t have searched for the Eisen shots… Can’t wait to see which member of the Philly media makes the news next. [Dan Gross]
- Astute reader and Villanovan Carl P. asks, "What’s up with Melrose? Has he not wanted to coach until now, or is this the first offer he’s gotten in a decade?" We honestly have no idea here, but we’ll turn it over to Wyshynski. Note to John Stevens: Check Melrose’s players’ stick blades for legality. He loves that. [Puck Daddy]
That oughtta get you through your coffee and the merciless first hour of daily employ.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return