Sep 24, 2010, 11:59 PM EDT
The last Phillies series began with Braves President John Schuerholz weeping over the dimensions of Citizens Bank Park. His team, in contention for the playoffs if not a division crown, was swept out of said park. Now, the Mets are looking to follow in their footsteps. After a late slide by Chase Ultey into second base [video here], several Mets are crying foul.
It may sound like a threat of revenge, but it's stained by the sour grapes of another fruitless season. Of course, Wright did also veil another ditty, saying the Mets would "have to reevaluate the way we go into second base." He failed to indicate where that item ranks on the list of things the Mets need to reevaluate. The Phils won, in the process narrowing their magic number to just two, which means they could clinch against the Mets tomorrow if the Braves lose their day game. The Phillies also have the best record in baseball. (Just kinda wanted to type that.)
Please let this be Wright's walk-up music tomorrow…
Mike Pelfrey was also miffed. He's not expected to start in this series, so if someone tries to Lannan our 2B, it won't be Pelf. (Incidentally, the Phils are slated to face the actual John Lannan on Monday.) Oddly enough, one guy who didn't seem too upset was Mets second baseman Ruben Tejada, who miraculously survived the slide.
"I feel good," Tejada said. "I feel OK. I'll keep playing hard every day." Asked if he was angry with Utley, Tejada said: "No, no. It's baseball. He asked me, 'Are you OK?' "
Awful guy, that Chase Utley. In addition to taking the slide in stride, Tejada also turned a hell of a double play. Also being levelheaded about it, surprisingly enough, are Mets fans (at least so far).
Meanwhile, the Mets weren't opposed to a little gamesmanship of their own, calling an ice-the-kicker timeout in the middle of Brad Lidge's stretch in the ninth.
Already eliminated from meaningful baseball beyond next week, they have nothing to lose, and they seem plenty pissed off. Maybe they should've tried getting fired up a little sooner. In any case, the next two games just got a little more interesting.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money