Jan 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
In a matter of weeks, Michael Vick will become a free agent. Once upon a time, this would’ve been big news in the NFL, but with two career playoff wins and soon to be 34 years of age, he’ll probably have to be less than discriminating to find a starting job.
That doesn’t seem to bother Vick, who was making the media rounds on Thursday. In an ESPN Radio interview, the four-time Pro Bowler admitted he would rather play than be a backup for a contender, and on the NFL Network, Vick said he “absolutely” believes he will have the opportunity to start in 2014.
First, Vick’s stance on starter vs. backup via Phil Sheridan:
There was an interesting moment when Vick was asked what he’d do if given a choice between being a backup on a team with Super Bowl expectations or being a starter.
“I love the game of football,” Vick said. “I think it will always be ingrained in me. If it came down to that, I would have to lean in the direction of playing. That’s just being candid and being honest. I want to play. I feel like I’ve still got a lot of football to give. I can continue to help younger guys and I can make the team better. And that’s just being honest. I know I can do that.”
And here he is on the Network courtesy Dan Hanzus:
Vick didn’t skip a beat when we asked if he believed he’d be a starter come Week 1 in September.
“Absolutely,” he replied. “I can’t see no other way.”
“What I am is really excited about the opportunity to play again in 2014 and that’s what’s important.”
Vick has never been one to lack confidence, so his answers should come as no surprise. If he truly is willing to play anywhere next year though, that knocks down the chances of his returning to the Philadelphia Eagles from 1 in 10 to 1 in 100.
Somebody will give Vick the opportunity to at least compete for a job, just not the Birds. This time, it looks like his time in Philly is truly coming to an end.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return