Jan 27, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Full disclosure: I didn’t spend one second watching the Pro Bowl. If you did happen to tune in though, you witnessed the latest chapter in the legend of Nick Foles.
The quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles connected on seven of 10 pass attempts for 89 yards and a touchdown to Cleveland Browns tight end Jordan Cameron, a performance worthy of being named Most Valuable Player on offense in the NFL’s annual all-star game.
This is the first time a member of the Birds was named MVP of the Pro Bowl since Randall Cunningham in 1989. Reggie White and Chuck Bednarik have also won the award.
According to the box score, Foles engineered a scoring drive late in the fourth quarter, his TD to Cameron lifting their squad to a seven-point lead with 4:41 remaining. It wasn’t enough for the win though, as the opposing team’s offense scored in the final minute and converted a two-point conversion to steal the victory.
Foles was the most efficient passer during the regular season in 2013, and he was the most efficient passer among the six QBs at the Pro Bowl with a 130.8 rating. He was the only one of the six not to throw an interception.
DeSean Jackson was on Foles’ team, hauling in a 36-yard touchdown from Andrew Luck. Jackson finished with three catches for 40 yards.
LeSean McCoy and Evan Mathis played for the other side. The Pro Bowl was unconferenced this year, with the teams drafted by Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders.
McCoy carried three times for 14 yards, and added an 18-yard reception.
Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson was named the defense MVP.
Every year, there’s talk of canceling the Pro Bowl, but I think things are just fine the way they are. The event does good television ratings, the best players in the NFL (and Alex Smith for some reason) get trips to Honolulu, and I don’t watch it, so what do I care if the game stinks?
>> Recap [ESPN]
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return