Mar 23, 2005, 9:23 AM EDT
The Phillies have pulled the plug on trying to teach Ryan Howard to play outfield. Simply put, Howard did not look good at all when trying to catch fly balls. He looked very uncomfortable and the Phillies figured it wasn’t worth the time and effort to help him assimilate to the new position. So don’t hope to see Ryan Howard much this season except for when Mr. Thome takes a day off.
Howard, 25, hasn’t played leftfield in any real games either in the minors or majors. He hit a combined 48 home runs playing first base in Double A, Triple A and the majors last season using a swing Charlie Manuel helped modify last year when Manuel was a front-office adviser. Manuel loves the swing, but, after witnessing Howard play in four intrasquad games and seeing Howard shag flies during defensive drills and take one-on-one work with coach Gary Varsho, Manuel can’t stand to watch Howard tromp around the outfield any more.
|sumkat on As free agency opens, remember…|
|sumkat on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|financeptycom on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|duffman on One national writer thinks Eag…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return