Jul 5, 2006, 12:48 AM EDT
Just take a look at the 400 level from the July 4th game at Citizens Bank Park: empty. The vibe in South Philly is that of a fan base that knows there will be no more than one Phillies game in October this year. Even the booing is lackluster. People just don’t care. It’s unfortunate that just a week before the Phillies are to send the right side of their infield, the only glimmer of hope on a team riddled with the Ryan Franklins and David Bells, to play in the midsummer classic that baseball has become meaningless in Philadelphia. As a baseball fan, I hope for the days of a packed game on a July 4th, buzzing with fans that love the game and are passionate about a team that can walk out on to the field and know they can bring home a championship. Maybe we can get the Athletics to move back to Philly.
When Aaron Rowand knocked in the game winner on Tuesday, it was exciting, but it wasn’t electric. I overheard one fan walking out of the stadium after the victory sum up most of Philadelphia’s feelings on the Phillies, "That was a great win for the Phillies, now they’re only 8 games under .500." For the record, they are only 6 games under .500 but I’m sure that doesn’t make you want to watch them anymore now does it?
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money