Jan 1, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Understandably the Flyers will take top priority in the Philly region on the first day of 2010, but if you are looking for something to check out during intermission or on commercials than change the channel to the Capital One Bowl, which will feature Penn State and LSU.
Penn State makes their fourth appearance in the bowl formerly known as the Citrus Bowl down in sunny Orlando. They will face one of the tougher teams in the SEC in only the second meeting between the two programs. The 1974 Orange Bowl victory for Penn State is the only other time they have played the Tigers, but none of that will matter in 2010.
Penn State's offense should be able to score enough points to come away with a victory to ring in the new year but the LSU defense could pose a threat to Penn State's hopes. The Nittany Lions have lost two games this season and in each game their offense was thwarted by stingy defenses against Iowa and Ohio State. Sure, Penn State did a number on the rest of their opposition this season, but the track record shows that when Penn State plays the big boys they tend to play like Nittany Cubs.
This bowl match-up looks to be the most interesting one in the bowl schedule, perhaps even more so than one or two of the high profile BCS games. Both teams are used to big games. Not so long ago LSU won the national championship. Over the last four seasons LSU has won four bowl games by an average of over 25 points per game, although they do not seem to have the kind of offensive firepower to continue that trend against a veteran Penn State defense that allows fewer than 12 points per game.
So when the pucks stop being shot on goal for a moment or two today switch over to the Capital One Bowl for some warm sunshine and hard nosed college football. It's really what New Year's Day is still all about. consider this your game thread for the Capital One Bowl this afternoon, but if you are still aching for hockey, stay tuned.
For more college football coverage form Kevin McGuire, stop by Examiner.com where he has been covering Penn State football all season and has recently taken the role of national college football writer. In addition stop by NittanyWhiteOut.com for more on the blue and white.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return