Aug 6, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Hot off a sweep of the Marlins in Florida, the Phillies will return home for Jort Night at Citizens Bank Park as the Mets are in town for a three game set. There hasn't been an abundance of story lines between these two teams this season, with the Mets currently six games behind the Fightins', but that could always change at any moment.
To get you ready for the rivalry series this weekend, we highly suggest this article by former Phillies scribe turned Mets man Andy Martino about the difference between the two clubs. It involves one team having an "(expletive you) edge."
The team [Mets] has, however, lacked the swagger that, to hear those who
were there tell it, defined the 1986 Mets, and has defined the 2007-2010
Phillies. Utley will slide spikes-up into any second baseman, and
Rollins will publicly bash his opponents. When Colorado manager Jim Tracy this spring complained that the Phillies kept binoculars in their bullpen in an apparent attempt to steal signs, Charlie Manuel told him to "quit crying." The Phillies manager then, without provocation, accused the Mets of stealing signs.
It all adds up to a "(expletive) you" edge that the Mets lack. From
the general manager to the coaching staff to the star players to Chris Carter and Jesus Feliciano, they are almost all nice people. Maybe too nice.
We all love a little attitude from our clubs. Be thankful our Phillies appear to be the total opposite of the Mets in that respect.
The Mets have been struggling a bit of late, as they often do, but their pitchers line up favorably for them against the Phils. However, the home team counters with Cole and Roy to finish off the weekend, so it should be a fun series.
CSN's Leslie Gudel provided this awesome tidbit from Mike Sweeney today:
Mike Sweeney on coming to Philadelphia "Being a devout Catholic, its heavenly in the realm of baseball"
I think I like this guy already.
Sweeney will make his Phillies debut tonight and bat clean up. Curious, but that's Charlie for ya. No big shoes to fill for Sweeney or anything.
First pitch scheduled for 7:35. If you see a guy in 145 with a red t-shirt on say hello. And remember, when encounering Mets fans in the wild, be sure to bring your "(expletive) you edge."
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return