Dec 1, 2005, 10:21 PM EST
And we’re done. I’ll likely have some thoughts on Monday, but Jim Salisbury summed up the season very well:
The goal of any professional sports team is to make the playoffs and
win a championship. Anything short of that is a failure, and in that
sense, this season will be marked a failure.
But there were some fun times. Jimmy Rollins opened the season with
a 36-game hitting streak that he was more than happy to talk about.
Chase Utley had a 35-game hitting streak and was so superstitious that
he would not talk about it. Aaron Rowand broke his face against the
center-field wall but still managed to make the catch of the year. A
youngster named Cole Hamels arrived with the aura of a star.
And then there was the big man. First baseman Ryan Howard put this
team on his broad shoulders after the all-star break and carried it
into contention. He shot down Mike Schmidt’s 26-year-old team record
for home runs (48), then tagged on 10 more. (Who knows? Maybe he
reaches 60 today.)
The crowds came out big and strong at Citizens Bank Park over the
final weeks, and every seat was an electric chair. Howard hit moon
shots. Fans chanted "MVP… MVP." The Phillies won games. Playoff
tickets were printed.
It was fun.
But not as much fun as it could have been.
The best part of the baseball season begins this week. The Phillies, once again, will not be included.
Read Jim Salisbury’s full article, Another Failure for the Phils.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return