Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
The good people at the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau wanted us to let you know the official reason why the city will not be hosting a WWE WrestleMania in 2015 or 2016. Turns out, Philly never put in a bid in the first place.
Before wrestling fans get up in arms though, the reason no bid was placed is because it was determined the necessary venues were unavailable. Here is the official statement from the WWE:
While Philadelphia expressed a great interest in hosting Wrestlemania in 2015 and 2016, the fact is the city did not submit a formal proposal because the facilities necessary to host ancillary events weren’t available. Philadelphia remains a strong market for WWE in all aspects of our business.
Brock Koller for 6ABC provides more detail after speaking to Executive Director of Philadelphia Sports Congress, Larry Needle:
Needle says after discussing the idea of hosting WrestleMania 31 or 32 with administrators with Lincoln Financial Field, the Philadelphia Convention Center, and Comcast Spectactor, it was determined the dates were not available and no bid was ever made.
WWE holds multiple events during WrestleMania weekend, which is why not just Lincoln Financial Field officials were contacted.
“It was quickly obvious that we did not have the availability [at those venues]. The dates did not line up,” Needle said.
Kind of wonder what those three sites could have lined up for next year already that’s bigger than WrestleMania.
Needle did say the city will still be interested in hosting a future WrestleMania, telling 6ABC, “All things in good time.”
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
|db21 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|BS Bully on Ryan Howard Needs Surgery for…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return