Feb 19, 2006, 11:42 AM EDT
The Phillies reached a one year deal with Jayson Werth.
"Jayson is a young outfielder with a combination of power and speed," said
general manager Pat Gillick. "He’s had some injuries over the past couple
years, but we think he has tremendous athleticism and we’re very happy to have
him in a Phillies uniform. He’s a great addition to the club."
I can’t say I know much about the guy. Beerleaguer’s take:
If it turns out to be a major league deal, with nothing else on the way
in terms of a LH outfielder, it’s a little suspect. The Phillies are
probably trying to establish some young depth 1-through-5, and Werth
gives them a major-league ready option at a bargain price … but only
if he’s healthy. A wrist injury can be a bitch.
I’m always suspect of guys named Jayson who spell their name with a ‘y’, but I’m also a fan of cheap, low-risk moves that could payoff a whole lot more than they could hurt you. Maybe this guy could turn into something nice.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return