Aug 22, 2006, 10:33 AM EDT
It was one of those nasty plays you cringe at when they show the replay over and over. Utley and Rowand were running full speed towards each other and their collision flipped Rowand over to land awkwardly on his head. When it first happend it appeared Rowand would have gotten a concussion or damaged his neck from the contact with the field, but it turns out he broke his ankle from the initial contact with Utley.
This could be a huge blow to the Phillies on their quest to pass Cincinnati for the wild card. I believe Shane Victorino can perform at about the same level as Rowand if not better, but with Rowand out the bench is paper thin.
Perhaps the two most encouraging plays of the night involved Pat Burrell. First he bowled over the catcher on a play at home to get the Phillies on the board and later in the game he made a diving catch which I was shocked he could make. So Pat Burrell should get a pass the next time he strikes out at the ball park. Those were two hustle plays I loved to see.
Update: Here is a video of the play
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return