Aug 22, 2006, 10:33 AM EDT
It was one of those nasty plays you cringe at when they show the replay over and over. Utley and Rowand were running full speed towards each other and their collision flipped Rowand over to land awkwardly on his head. When it first happend it appeared Rowand would have gotten a concussion or damaged his neck from the contact with the field, but it turns out he broke his ankle from the initial contact with Utley.
This could be a huge blow to the Phillies on their quest to pass Cincinnati for the wild card. I believe Shane Victorino can perform at about the same level as Rowand if not better, but with Rowand out the bench is paper thin.
Perhaps the two most encouraging plays of the night involved Pat Burrell. First he bowled over the catcher on a play at home to get the Phillies on the board and later in the game he made a diving catch which I was shocked he could make. So Pat Burrell should get a pass the next time he strikes out at the ball park. Those were two hustle plays I loved to see.
Update: Here is a video of the play
|Rob on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money