Apr 8, 2005, 9:15 AM EDT
On my drive home from work yesterday I listened to Glen Macnow commenting on the recent booing going on at the Phillies games. He also noted that yesterday’s game against the Washington Nationals drew the smallest crowd ever at Citizen’s Bank Ball Park.. The smallest by 9,000 People! I find that incredible. Philly fans are some of the best fans in all of sports; you can’t convince me otherwise, but they are fickle. Anyway, back to Glen. He was talking about booing Charlie Manuel, Placido Polanco, and Kenny Lofton. Glen says the fans aren’t booing Charlie of Mayberry and his players, they are booing 20 years of losing. They are booing the lack of aggression by the front office. They are booing the Sixers sub .500 record. They are booing Ed Wade and Dave Montgomery. They are booing no playoffs in over 10 years. They are booing the Eagles loss in the Superbowl. They are booing the lack of Flyers hockey. They are booing Tito Francona going to Boston and winning a world series. They are booing Rich Kotite, Mitch Williams, and Freddie Mitchell.
Philly fans are frustrated, and they have a right to boo. Some people hate the fact that Philly has a bad rap as fans. They boo Santa, they throw batteries at J.D. Drew, they throw snowballs and pee on your wife for wearing a Giants jersey. Most of this is a creation of the Media, but not all of it. You would be nuts to bring a wife or girlfriend to an Eagles playoff game, unless she knew what she was in for. I love the fact that Philly has a bad rap. I was in Boston last year to see the Phillies at Fenway and I saw a very nice looking female at the game sporting a great tee shirt; it said, "I’m from Philly. Don’t F$*K with me."
You have to realize there are extremes to all fans. There is the guy who drinks 14 Miller Lite’s by the 6th inning and can’t talk anymore from screaming at Chipper Jones, and then there are the stat heads who analyze players win shares and make graphs and charts of the effect bringing Jeromiah Trotter back would have on the Eagles payroll and potential chances of making it back to the big game.
I like to think I’m somewhere in the middle of the two.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money