Feb 8, 2006, 9:28 AM EST
Citing two NBA GMs and the agents for a pair of 76ers, Peter Vecsey of the New York Post has reported that Allen Iverson has asked to be traded. According to the Post article, Iverson met with Billy King on Tuesday and demanded to be moved. Vecsey supports the agents’ story with statements from two NBA GMs, who said they were contacted by King yesterday in efforts to gauge interest in The Answer… and pretty much everyone else on the team:
At the same time, emphasized one of those GMs: "A.I. is not the only player Billy is looking to move. His second breath is about Chris Webber." And that’s not where the conversation stops.
Everybody is gladly available. Andre Iguodala or Sam Dalembert may have to be surrendered in order to move Webber ($20.7M/22.3M next season) or A.I. "But the big push is on to deal Iverson.”
The Post is known for sensationalism, and maybe this will all blow over, but it’s about as sorry a time as ever for the Sixers, so maybe any change is for the best. I just wish King had dealt Iverson in the off season, instead of waiting for the meltdown that will inevitably result in teams offering 50 cents on the dollar for one of the greatest to ever play the game. By extension, King will probably get less than market value for Iguodala if he’s moved as part of the Webber-fiasco salary dump. It seems like every other move King makes is to compensate for a previous mistake. How does someone with such poor understanding and control of the salary cap still have a job?
Iverson’s been a star here for a decade, and on many occasions, he’s professed his love for the city, the team, and its fans. It’ll be sad to see him go, but I think he deserves a better supporting cast—and definitely a better front office—to match his talent.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return