Dec 15, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
Philadelphia Eagles fans hoping Sunday’s showdown in Minnesota will be a walk in the park received some good news late Saturday night. Running back and reigning NFL Most Valuable Player Adrian Peterson has been ruled out for today’s game according to Vikings analyst Sean Jensen.
In addition to Peterson being out with a foot injury, 2010 second-round pick and backup Toby Gerhart is also expected to be scratched due to a hamstring. AP and Gerhart combined account for the bulk of the league’s seventh-ranked rushing attack.
The fact that Peterson is not playing is no surprise despite the team pushing that he might be available this week. The injury certainly looked like it would force the All-Pro back to miss some time, and with the Vikings at 3-9-1 and eliminated from postseason contention, there is no rush to get him back on the field at anything less than 100 percent.
Peterson is second only to LeSean McCoy in rushing with 1,221 yards this season. Gerhart is averaging an impressive 7.9 yards per carry. Matt Asiata, a second-year back with three career carries, is in line to handle the workload in Minnesota’s backfield today.
The Vikings are also expected to be down two, maybe even three cornerbacks. Josh Robinson was ruled out, and Xavier Rhodes is doubtful. Chris Cook was also a late addition to the injury report and is listed as questionable. The full injury report is available here.
Assuming reports prove accurate and most if not all of the above don’t play, the Eagles shouldn’t have any excuse to lose to this team, not with Matt Cassel under center and the league’s 31st-ranked defense in both yards and scoring. Adjust your fantasy lineups accordingly.
|Hockey on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money