Feb 1, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Would you have guessed that Voracek and Simmonds would have significantly more points than Richards and Carter? pic.twitter.com/vJuyxTzlNe
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) February 1, 2014
Believe it or not, Saturday marks the first time the Philadelphia Flyers go head-to-head versus Mike Richards and Jeff Carter at the same time, a tilt nearly two years in the making. This is also an occasion to rehash the debate over whether the organization did the right thing in “blowing it up” in 2011.
While Richards and Carter took different paths to the Los Angeles Kings, the fact is they won a Stanley Cup together the ensuing season after they were traded, two short years removed from nearly doing the same in Philly mind you. They’re not necessarily the stars of the show in LA the way they were here, but they accomplished
From the Flyers’ point of view, their roster became both younger and far more productive. In a straight points comparison, the orange and black have actually got more scoring from key components of those deals Jake Voracek (133) and Wayne Simmonds (119) than the Kings have from Richards (111) and Carter (101).
That’s not even accounting for Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier, two young players who continue to show improvement.
Of course, if we added Richards’ and Carter’s points from all those playoff games LA has been in, the numbers might look a bit different.
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return