May 29, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Roy Halladay just threw the 20th perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball. 27 Florida Marlins came up to bat on Saturday night and 27 Florida Marlins were sent back to the dugout. A truly perfect outing by Doc.
It was the second perfect game in franchise history joining Jim Bunning's magical day on Father's Day in 1964.
Before he ever pitched a game for the Phillies this season, Philadelphia fans knew that Roy Halladay, now pitching in the National League, would have plenty of chances to do historic things. Beat writers in the press box made jokes about Roy not allowing a hit against the Pirates a few weeks back before that game ever even started. Unfortunately, that game didn't turn out quite as well, but it was more a sign of how confident people are in Roy Halladay and just how good he really is when he's on.
Against the Florida Marlins tonight, Roy Halladay was perfect.
Perhaps the only unfortunate aspect of Roy's perfection tonight was the fact that his performance was fighting for eyeballs against game one of the Flyers' Stanley Cup Finals battle with the Chicago Blackhawks.
Typically when Roy's on the mound, every single Phillies fan in the nation is tuned in to watch the man do his magic. Unfortunately tonight, many of us didn't get to witness the entire nine innings of perfection.
Much more will be written about Halladay's historic outing, but props must be given to third baseman Juan Castro who made tremendous defensive plays in the eighth and ninth innings to keep this one perfect. And, of course, Chooch. Carlos Ruiz deserves mucho ice cream for his wonderfully called game this evening.
"It was awesome. I don't know what else to say." -Roy Halladay on his perfect game.
You said it all, Roy.
Halladay smiles via our friend Dana Stro.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money