Jun 12, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
It was intentional in the sense that Garcia was trying to get his tee shot on the 115-yard 13th hole as close to the hole and the wicker basket on a stick as possible, if not even in the hole. But what happened in his Wednesday practice round was the result of being too good.
Garcia took a wedge back little more than halfway in his backswing and hit a boring shot right at the stick. The ball actually landed on top of the wicker basket, bounced to the fringe in the back of the green and then spun back towards the middle of the green. When the ball finally stopped, it was 15 feet from the hole.
There was some question as to how Philadelphia fans would treat Garcia, but there was no doubt that the several hundred people surrounding the green approved of Garcia at this moment at least. Needless to say, he got a huge round of applause.
Upon reaching the green, Sergio inspected the basket and after putting out, tossed the ball into the crowd, earning another round of applause.
Photo and story by T.R. Goyne. Follow on Twitter: @doctomg.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money