Jun 9, 2005, 10:04 PM EDT
Things got a little heated in South Philly last night and the Phillies sent the Rangers packing. The night started a little rough for Vincente Padilla giving up 3 runs on 2 homers in the first, but he settled down enough to keep the Phillies in it. Balls were flying out of CBP and in the 2nd Burrell and Thome went back-to-back and Todd Pratt added a solo shot later in the inning.
Things got a little interesting in the 5th when Padilla hit Mark Teixeira on a seemingly harmless pitch. Texas didn’t seem to happy about Padilla dinking their two home run guy and retaliated in the following inning. Abreu led off and was hit hard in the back of the upper arm. Pat the Bat, who had homered earlier, came in and sent a blast deep into left. Pat slammed the bat to the ground after his shot on his way to first. It was awesome. This team is starting to play some exciting ball and I love the emotion Burrell showed in support of his man Abreu.
The two newest Phillies made appearances with Ramon Martinez grounding out in a pinch hit and Mr. Urbina pitched a shaky third of the ninth. I kind of think Charlie should have let Ugueth work through this one instead of pulling him and going with Billy Wagner. Urbina came in for the perfect first chance with his new team; up big with a chance to get a few outs and leave to a big ovation. Instead he got lit up and pulled. Could this mess with his head? Hopefully not too much but their have been some grumblings of Uggie having some attitude issues.
Wagner came in to get the final two outs, but not after allowing 2 runs and giving the Phillies faithful an unnecessary scare. Endy Chavez made a stellar catch going extremely deep to center and running one down. Wags got his 17th save and Padilla got his 3rd win of the season.
With Abreu and Burrell playing All-Star caliber ball and Chase Utley’s pop being added to the everyday lineup, if Jim Thome can resemble his former self, the Phillies lineup could be nasty. Plans for the Bandwagon are being made.
|ochospantalones on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|charlie d on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Phred on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|ochospantalones on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money