Aug 8, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Okay, so that title may be slightly misleading. We planned on trying to sneak in (or at the very least get remotely close) to the Birds Nest in Beijing, China for the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics. But truth be told the security was so damn intense that we couldn’t even get within blocks of the venue — like 10-15 blocks. We did “try” to get close for about two hours but ended up giving up and watching the opening ceremonies on a giant projector at some local bar.
The city was on lockdown. It was an insane experience.
But I was in China five years ago today and thought I’d share some photos from that amazing two week trip. I saw Yao Ming play with the China team. I saw Kobe Bryant and the American squad win on their way to gold. I saw Usain Bolt run. I saw Michael Phelps swim. I saw the U.S. win gold in beach volleyball. I saw whatever you call that weird ballet-like gymnastics event. I was chilling outside the Birds Nest for the closing ceremonies and could hear Jimmy Page do his guitar solo.
I saw so much. I ate some weird stuff. I walked on the Great Wall. It was amazing.
Here are some photos I took.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Reneecel on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money