Aug 8, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
Okay, so that title may be slightly misleading. We planned on trying to sneak in (or at the very least get remotely close) to the Birds Nest in Beijing, China for the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics. But truth be told the security was so damn intense that we couldn’t even get within blocks of the venue — like 10-15 blocks. We did “try” to get close for about two hours but ended up giving up and watching the opening ceremonies on a giant projector at some local bar.
The city was on lockdown. It was an insane experience.
But I was in China five years ago today and thought I’d share some photos from that amazing two week trip. I saw Yao Ming play with the China team. I saw Kobe Bryant and the American squad win on their way to gold. I saw Usain Bolt run. I saw Michael Phelps swim. I saw the U.S. win gold in beach volleyball. I saw whatever you call that weird ballet-like gymnastics event. I was chilling outside the Birds Nest for the closing ceremonies and could hear Jimmy Page do his guitar solo.
I saw so much. I ate some weird stuff. I walked on the Great Wall. It was amazing.
Here are some photos I took.
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Kunk on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return