Mar 3, 2006, 1:41 AM EDT
The free agency period in the NFL was set to start today, but issues with the collective bargaining agreement has pushed it back 3 days. What does all of this mean? How does it impact the Eagles? To put it simply, the Eagles are in a pretty favorable situation, being favorably under the cap. The salary cap may or may not be bumped up this year. If the league chose to keep the same cap as last year, this means a great number of teams will be extremely cap stricken, not including the Eagles. This would cause other teams to cut solid players due to cap issues. More potential talent the Eagles could bring in. Look for the Eagles first signing to be LeCharles Bentley, former Pro Bowl Center for the Saints.
SI had Bentley on it’s list of top 10 free agents:
9. LeCharles Bentley, New Orleans, C
Thought of something
as an emerging star heading into last season, it’s a bit surprising the
Saints are apparently going to let Bentley get to free agency. Don’t be
surprised if the Vikings make an early bid for the former Ohio State
standout, who also has experience at the guard position. At 6-2, 313,
Bentley has ideal size for an NFL center today, and he plays with
aggression. Signing a quality center in free agency isn’t going to whip
up the fans’ fervor and sell many season tickets, but when you don’t
have somebody solid in the middle, you notice it.
I don’t know about you, but LeCharles sure as hell beats out Hank in the battle of better O-linemen names. Other names on the list which Eagles fans crave include Superbowl star Antwan Randel El and San Fran LB Julian Peterson.
The whole free agency situation is kind of wait-and-see for Eagles fans. Terrell Owens is due a roster bonus 5 days after free agency begins, so look for him to be let go before then. Terrell could wind up the biggest loser with the cap fiasco. More teams will be over the cap and the list of teams which can afford Owens will get even shorter while driving his pay day down. I wouldn’t be surprised if T.O.’s time with the Eagles ended as early as sometime today.
The rich squabbling with the rich about money doesn’t make for entertaining news. As a wise Clan member once said, "cash rules everything around me."
Remember the Eagles fan who dumped his mother’s ashes on the field at the Linc? Looks like he only has to pick up some trash.
|Z on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|willh888 on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|yishmeister on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|red2gold on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return