Feb 2, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
By and large, football fans across the country are picking the Denver Broncos to defeat the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII. This is what I could gather from offhand conversations with friends and associates over the past two weeks as well as this super scientific poll on ESPN.com.
Two-thirds of the country apparently believes this is the Broncos’ Super Bowl to win, and it’s probably higher if we remove the opinions of people hailing from the states of Washington and Oregon—also Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island for some reason. Then again, who is going to win and who you’re rooting for is not necessarily the same thing.
Most of you have probably made up your mind by now as to who you’ll be pulling for in the big game, but that’s a mistake, a hugely horrible mistake without first consulting this handy guide.
That’s right, I’m going to tell you who you’re rooting for, and you’re going to like it.
Okay, not exactly. You can still choose your own rooting interest (though I’m going to advise Denver), but I’ve listed some very pertinent data below. Some of it may change your mind. Most of it will not. What’s important is that you consider all the necessary criteria before figuratively or literally putting on another team’s hat on Sunday night.
Root for the Seahawks because…
You want to use it as a reason to loathe the Eagles’ organization for not drafting Seattle safety Earl Thomas in 2010. Never mind the person that was most responsible for selecting Brandon Graham is in Kansas City. Never forget.
LeSean McCoy thinks Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno sucks.
You don’t want to see Denver cornerback Dominiqiue Rodgers-Cromartie pick up a ring. DRC has all the talent in the world, but he quit on the Eagles in 2012. Hard to respect a guy like that, and Philadelphia is very justified in rooting against him.
You’re a big Chris Clemons fan. Somebody out there has his Eagles No. 91 in their closet. Signed as a free agent in 2008, Clemons spent two seasons with the Birds, but for various reasons it didn’t work out, as the defensive end registered just seven sacks. He then posted three straight seasons with double-digit sacks for Seattle, although he finally seems to be slowing down with just 4.5 in 2013.
Broncos head coach John Fox was the Carolina Panthers’s chief when they defeated the Eagles in the NFC Championship in 2003-04. Jerk.
Seattle fullback Michael Robinson. We are.
You like Richard Sherman. You should like Richard Sherman, even if you aren’t rooting for the Seahawks.
Root for the Broncos because…
LeSean McCoy finds Richard Sherman annoying.
Legendary Eagles safety Brian Dawkins will be rooting for the Broncos. Dawk spent his last three seasons in the NFL in Denver, so naturally he’s pulling for the Mile High City. It’s as good a reason as any.
Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson will get too much of the credit for a Seahawks championship. That in turn would make him come out on top of Nick Foles in head-to-head comparisons, and nobody wants that! (Okay, I’m probably trolling a bit with that one.)
You’re a big Winston Justice fan. Somebody was probably holding out hope he’d develop into a great left tackle for Philadelphia, even after he let Donovan McNabb get sacked eighty-billion times in his first career start back in 2007. Justice was serviceable for the Birds for two seasons, but the former second-round pick was demoted and later traded for pennies on the dollar. He is only depth at this stage of his career.
Temple’s own Terrance Knighton, aka “Pot Roast,” plays defensive tackle for the Broncos.
You don’t want Eli Manning to own more Super Bowl rings than Peyton. I think this is the most compelling argument for Eagles fans because it’s the simplest. Anything that knocks the quarterback of the New York Giants down a peg can’t be a bad thing, otherwise whenever Eli is compared to Peyton throughout history, everybody will remark how much better big brother was, only to point out look who won more Super Bowls. The very thought should be revolting.
|teguhp63 on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|33 on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return