May 8, 2006, 12:54 AM EDT
"It’s big. It’s really,
really big." -Barry Bonds, not commenting on his head, but rather on his pursuit of the Babe.
713 was a moon shot. As the guy sitting in front of me at the game tonight said, I’ll tell my grand kids I was there to see Bonds hit number 713 some day. ESPN has video of the blast.
It was a perfect weekend in South Philly for baseball. The Phillies hot winning streak, coupled with Bonds pursuit of history, provided a great buzz all weekend. I sat in the first row in left center Friday night, directly behind behind Bonds and the fans were pretty brutal at times. The Ruth sign was perhaps one of the best signs I’ve seen at a sporting event. It is perfectly tasteful and yet extremely creative and witty. Good work Philly.
It was a pretty great weekend. 3 nights of perfect weather, 2 free tickets, 44,364 boos, 4 dollar dogs, 3 bags of peanuts, a Schmitter, a disappointing funnel cake, 1 Bonds homer, and perhaps the most surprising thing of the weekend: 3 Phillies wins.
I’m curious as to how the broadcast on ESPN portrayed the game/fans?
-Bonds Crushes 713 [ESPN]
-Bonds first 2 nights in Philly pretty boring [Inqy]
-Jim Salisbury on Billy Wagner, From heroes to villains [Inqy]
-A collection of good signs from the weekend: 1, 2, 3, 4, and these guys have too much free time.
-Cole Hamels is on fire [BS&S]
-Four stars out of four [Swing&Miss]
-San Francisco Bray [ShallowCenter]
|Franchise on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|ochospantalones on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|That Guy 895 on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|sumkat on As free agency opens, remember…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return