May 29, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
We were skeptical but it turns out Woods was in the Philadelphia area to get acquainted with the course that will hose the 2013 U.S. Open in just a few short weeks.
The Golf Channel confirmed the report, noting this was Woods first time ever playing Merion:
Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, confirmed that his player made a brief stop in Ardmore, Pa., en route to defending his Memorial Tournament title. Woods teed it up in a practice round at the venerable track, which will host the year’s second major from June 13-16.
Dressed in an all-black outfit and wearing shorts, the three-time U.S. Open champion got his first look at a track that will play just 6,996 yards for next month’s tournament.
And 6ABC received some better user submitted photos of Woods practicing in the rain. Their full gallery here.
The 2013 U.S. Open will take place June 10-16 on Merion’s famed East Course.
Updated to include video of Tiger talking about adapting Merion:
|t800m101 on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Bob on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Marvin Monroe on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|psudrozz on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money