Dec 9, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT
The Eagles were 3-1 for the season going into a game against the Cowboys on October 9th, 2005, but the offense wasn't quite clicking the way it had been in the Super Bowl run of 2004. This became abundantly clear in Texas Stadium, where QB Donovan McNabb went only 13 for 26 for a measley 131 yards, only 50 of which went to star receiver Terrell Owens. The Eagles were shredded by the Cowboys hookup of Drew Bledsoe to Terry Glenn, and lost the game 33-10 while failing to score a single offensive touchdown. But the real story might have been what hapened after the game, as Owens donned a throwback Michael Irvin jersey–he of the much-hated 90s Cowboys dynasty–on the way out of the city.
"On the way home, I give these guys an opportunity to wear comfortable
clothes," said coach Andy Reid. "I have done that since I have been here, and he's very close
with Michael. I don't think it's that big of a deal." Naturally, Eagles fans were somewhat less forgiving at the sight of the betrayal, and the backlash was heavy for a former fan-favorite that was increasingly becoming more and more of a malcontent, falling out with teammates and organization.
Naturally, Owens's donning of the Silver and Blue turned out to be prophetic, as by the next season he was Jerry Jones's new golden boy, lighting it up with Tony Romo on America's Team. Eagles fans can no doubt take great solace, however, in the fact that TO's days in the Lone Star state ended just as acrimoniously as his time in Philly, and he seems mere seconds away at all times from self-immolation now up in Buffalo. Some receivers, you just can't reach.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return