Aug 28, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
I grew up here, so I am more than familiar with Don Tollefson’s body of work. By all accounts he’s a terrific guy who tirelessly supports and promotes local charities. He’s also, by a wide margin, the most optimistic person to ever walk the face of the earth. He makes Pat Croce seem depressed.
He has a unique ability to find the silver lining in any, and I stress any, situation. For years my friends and I have dropped “he’s an alllllllll arounnnndddd gooooooood guy” references in our best Tolley/Quagmire voice.
His sunny disposition was once again on display last night during the Eagles/Chiefs game. He was so happy and so positive that he inspired me to tweet a bunch of “If Tolley Called (insert tragedy here)“. I’ve copied/pasted them after the jump.
-Don Tollefson calling the Hindenbug disaster: an achievement in engineering. the germans are truly talented. a terrific bit of pyrotechnics.
-Don Tollefson calling crash of Titanic: what a glorious majestic iceberg. deck chairs are heavenly. love cold water – gets the blood flowing
-Don Tollefson calling Jonestown Massacre: Guyana’s beautiful. Trust me, Jim Jones makes the most delicious Kool-Aid. The cyanide’s terrific.
-Don Tollefson calling Lidge’s 9th v SD last night: You’ve got to admire Brad Lidge not taking the easy way out. He craves adversity. Love seeing a balk
Perhaps it’s because we’re in Philly and optimism like that is so atypical, to the point of being disconcerting. All I know is that Tolley makes Pollyanna seem like a greedy, obnoxious, selfish little brat. Oh Tolley, with your positivity.
I’ll leave you with one more fake Tolley call. This is Tolley calling the Monday Night Football game where Lawrence Taylor annihilated Joe Theisman’s leg/career: LT with a terrific bit of sportsmanship by leaving Joey T’s head connected to his shoulders. He could have decapitated him, but because he treats people so well he held up a bit. LT seems really high…on life. And how about that beautiful bone structure Theisman’s showing off? His femur is a work of art. Great job by both guys there.
Feel free to share your best fake Tolly call of any famous event in the comments.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money