May 26, 2009, 10:31 AM EST
Until there's actual news to report or an actual team to field, much of the stories surrounding the Philadelphia Union will be based on rumors, best guesses, and speculation. Who knows which of them will come true, we'll be tracking some of the bigger ones as they develop. One such story that's had some legs for awhile now is the possible acquisition of local product Bobby Convey. Convey has some notable English Premier League experience, playing with Reading FC from 2004 to 2009. As a starter in '05-'06, Convey helped lead Reading to its promotion to the Premier League, and after a few seasons, he returned to the MLS. Now with a struggling San Jose Earthquakes team (see how bad the name thing could have been?), expect to hear more rumors of a likely trade; if San Jose doesn't move him in-season, a return to Philly could be in the cards as the Union looks to build talent but also add players that will attract local fans. For more on the Convey possibilities, click here.
By the way, the latest figures have the team already selling 7,000 season tickets for the new stadium.
And, the anti-Philly sentiment has already hit the MLS fans… An enterprising web enthusiast apparently hacked into the WorldSoccerShop.com site, and replaced the Union's logo with this one.
See what they did there? With the snake and the poo? Gotta admit, that's pretty good.
Many Philly soccer fans are probably trying to get up to speed on the MLS and perhaps global soccer in general. We'll try to point you to some good futbol coverage as we do these Union updates, as we did with Philadelphia Soccer Examiner last time. Today, take a look at Ginge Talks the Footy, our source for the tweaked logo (with an h/t to our man Tuffy).
|Andrew Kulp on The Eagles are in ridiculously…|
|FREE KWAME!!! on The Eagles are in ridiculously…|
|willh888 on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|Matt P. on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages