Video: Adirondack Phantoms destroy Portland Pirates during line brawl

Feb 17, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

I’m not sure what Connor Murphy said or did to provoke this fight, but whatever it was sent three Adirondack Phantoms in a mad dash to jump the Portland Pirates’ defenseman. Next thing you know, a full line brawl breaks out on the ice.

Portland may have won the game 2-0, but the Phantoms won the war.

Once he makes it out of the pile, Murphy is going to get absolutely tagged by Tye McGinn, one of the handful of recognizable names from the Flyers’ minor-league affiliate involved the scrum. Kris Newbury—who once felt McGinn’s wrath while playing for the New York Rangers—lays out some other poor soul. Brandon Manning throws a few punches before his opponent loses interest.

Goaltender Cal Heeter had gone to the bench for an extra attacker, but he jumped back on to the ice twice to get involved. They’re calling it the first goalie fight in Phantoms history.

In all, the two teams combined for 299 penalty minutes for the game. Adirondack charged with 179 of those.

Very entertaining stuff. Can’t wait until the Phantoms move a little closer to home. They’re slated to open a new arena in the Lehigh Valley next season.

>> Phantoms and Pirates Drop the Cloges in Huge Line Brawl

h/t theKrisheim

1. thekrisheim - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

mcginn knows how to get back on berube and homer’s radar

2. Chal - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Nice wish they were back in this area again

• JonnyP - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Chal, you can have them. Glens Falls is tired of excuses and hearing how they actually played well even when they didn’t, from Murray. The new strategy they have resorted to is becoming the Chiefs (Slapshot). It’s all they have left. At least it’s entertaining, although you will find it quickly loses its charm and value. Hansen brothers for the win. The players have talent, we’ve seen it. They just can’t play as a team. I hope you didn’t pay a lot for those season tickets, I’d not do it again for these clowns. I’d take the Comets at this point.

3. kid320 - Feb 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Wait – how is this the first goaltender fight in Phantoms history? I distinctly remember a few Phantoms games where the goalie got into a fight back in the late 90s early 00s. Perhaps this is the first time a goalie has been given a fighting major? Or, perhaps it is the first time since they’ve moved to Adirondack?

Case and point:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM4ky-1x_k4 – Cranium Carom (with a fist)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YicTlSdNo – Leaping Little (4th and inches)

Also interesting to note that at 2:55 of that video, you can see the name on the back of number 24 is Hextall. Yep, that’s Brett Hextall, the son of this man:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Hextall

4. frankly92 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:29 PM

This is exactly what we don’t want to see—the Broad street bully attitude. I would rather they won the game playing with a purpose and trying to improve their offense and defense. Unfortunately the Flyers culture goes entirely through the whole organization. I tried to see the Snider way but I’m becoming tired of this organizational attitude that seems to be ingrained in all their prospects.

• bigdong28 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM

It’s the AHL tho…where do you think all of the goons play when they aren’t called up? Remember The Animal? I’d go see those games as a kid just to see that dude fight. & I’m not for the broad street bully mentality

• kid320 - Feb 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I have a Frank Bialowas bobblehead sitting on my desk. It is autographed by Bill Barber. I can’t explain it either.

• Easy E - Feb 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Well then frankly92 change the channel..

• frankly92 - Feb 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I have my right to my opinion and what I said is it.

• willh888 - Feb 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Frankly so the line brawl between Canucks and Flames which got Torts suspended for a few weeks, is that a Vancouver Organizational fundamental flaw.. or just another brawl?

• brandonphilly - Feb 19, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Frankly, you’re entitled to your opinion and I fought for you to have it. But you’re a bitch and clearly not a Flyers fan. Go back to the Pens websites.

5. PW44 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Maybe the first goalie fight in Adirondak Phantoms history, but I definitely remember being at a game in the Spectrum where Neil Little got into it with another goalie.

• Marvin Monroe - Feb 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Little got into the fight, but he didn’t really fight the opposing goallie- Ray Emery. Emery was already fighting one of the Phantoms when Little jumped in.

6. Atomic Fury - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I’m tired of our teams “winning the war”, I want them to win the damned championship.

7. BenE. - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Awesome. I love it. Reminds me of the good ole days (Phantoms AND Flyers).

8. Firebird7478 - Feb 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM

This is nothing compared to what brawls use to be like. But as Gene Hart use to say, “17,177 fans turn their backs in protest.”