May 30, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Did you miss most or all of Roy Halladay becoming the first Phillies pitcher to throw a perfect game since Jim Bunning in 1964? Understandable. There was a lot going on last night whether you were watching the Flyers or stumbling around the Deauville this Halladay weekend.
Fortunately, we have video of all 27 moments of perfection right here, and Jim Salisbury has the complete breakdown of the game as well as its place in history.
It would have been nice to see it at home of course, but after the game, Halladay verbally tipped his cap to the Phillies fan support in Florida:
“The fans were awesome,” Halladay said. “To be on the road and see them that into it was really special. It made it all the more memorable.”
Doc was also quick to share the love with Carlos Ruiz:
“I can’t say enough about the game he called,” Halladay said. “After four or five innings, I just let him take over and I went with him. It was a no-brainer for me. See the glove, hit the glove. They have good hitters over there. You can’t fall into a pattern against them. The way Carlos called the game made a big difference.”
For those of us watching the Flyers in Stanley Cup action, the timing was great. The final innings coincided with the first intermission, and Roy was looking nasty on the mound and elated jumping off of it. Lost in all of the celebration though is that the Phillies were again terrible at the plate, scoring only a single run, unearned at that. Josh Johnson was acing for the Marlins, and the Phils needed Roy's perfection in this one. Another Marlin deserving of a few kind words is owner Jeffrey Loria, who told Halladay he would have the mound dug up for him. That's mighty cutterin' of ya, Jeff.
Also worth a click is the MLB.com video including the Scott Franzke & Larry Anderson radio call (second one in this sequence).
Update: Here's a synced up video with Franzke's call.
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money