Dec 13, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Plenty of things happened during the Flyers’ 2-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens last night in South Philly.
Danny Briere came home, Claude Giroux and Michael Raffl both scored in their first game as new linemates, the Flyers bounced back nicely after they were trounced in Chicago the night before and all sorts of shenanigans broke out in Steve Mason’s crease as the final horn sounded.
But, by far the coolest thing that happened at Wells Fargo Center last night didn’t happen on the ice.
It happened during a stoppage of play late in the second period.
During the stoppage, the Flyers honored the family of Pfc. Matthew Windish of Wilmington, DE for his service to the United States with a video that played on the screen in the arena.
After the video, Bob “The Hound” Kelly presented the Windish family with a gift on behalf of the Flyers organization. The family turned around to a huge, life-sized box wrapped in Christmas paper.
The box was unwrapped and there was Pfc. Matthew Windish, packaged like a real-life GI Joe action figure to shock his parents!
Matthew spent the last year serving as a wheeled-vehicle mechanic in South Korea.
Players from both teams immediately stood up and tapped their sticks on the boards and ice in great appreciation of Windish’s service and what just occurred. The crowd gave a rousing standing ovation and chanted “USA! USA!” in unison.
I was in the building last night and I gotta tell you, it was a hell of a moment.
Delaware Online has a good read on how the whole thing was planned and exactly how it all went down.
Go ahead and try to wipe the smile off your face for the rest of the day. I dare you.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return