Apr 11, 2008, 7:34 AM EDT
Here we go again. The Matt Holliday Question resurfaces. After 12 long innings of quiet baseball, the Mets made some noise in the bottom of the frame, with Jose Reyes smacking a double off of Tom Gordon, and was knocked in Angel Pagan, who we think is the child of parents from rival biker gangs. But was Reyes tagged out by Chris Coste at the plate after a laser of a throw from Jason Werth in center? Here’s some video of the play, the second replay being the most telling, but it still isn’t definitive.
Meech has some great overhead stills, and he calls bullshit on the whole deal. (When I went to B&C this morning, I was hoping to see some mockery of that pale Myth Busters-looking fan who was in every frame behind right-handed hitters—the guy with the red beard, and bald head he later covered with a ridiculous hat. Mets fans.) A look on the bright side, after the jump.
OK so the Phils lost to the Mets, dropping 2 of 3 at Shea. They still spoiled the last opener at that shitbox and showed the Mets (and let’s face it, us) that they’re going to make some noise this year. That was as close to a series split as you can get in a 3-game matchup, and the Phils were without Jimmy Rollins for the last two games.
Adam Eaton continued his great play against the Mets (5-0), but didn’t get the run support he needed. That support will come when things warm up, but this is a totally different team if Eaton can continue to pitch anywhere near this well. Tom Gordon was on the hill for the game-winning run, but if it weren’t a 12-inning game, he wouldn’t have had to throw two innings. In his first inning, the 11th, Gordon struck out the first two hitters and got the third to fly out. The bullpen overall pitched very well, with solid frames from Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Rudy Seanez, and JC Romero (who pitched out of a jam).
Ryan Howard drove a ball deep to center, and Pedro Feliz hit his first homer as a Phillie. Eric Bruntlett didn’t commit an error. Cole Hamels plays well even on his off-days. And the Flyers and Caps start their playoff series tonight.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money