Aug 1, 2006, 10:34 PM EDT
Jayson Stark’s most recent writings over at ESPN will make you depressed. Some lowlights:
- Now presenting the most lopsided deadline deal of this millennium:
Abreu and Lidle for four guys the Yankees already have forgotten they
- "I keep asking myself, ‘Is there something I don’t know about Bobby
Abreu that they know?’ " said a high-ranking official of a team that
would have loved to add Abreu in a less complicated, dollar-signed
world. "I’m just baffled that they could not get anything back for a guy this good. And they paid him $1.5 million to waive his no-trade clause. And they just tossed in Cory Lidle — tossed him in. I know for a fact there were teams that offered better prospects for Lidle alone. I don’t get it."
- To make this kind of trade, just for the joy of cashing out, simply
tells the sport that either you think Abreu is outrageously overrated
or your team is in major financial trouble — or both.
To kick us while we’re down, the New York Times get in on the act:
- The Phillies are more disgraceful than the Yankees. They play in one of
the largest markets in the country, and they act like a small-market
- They stumble and bumble in other ways, too. Instead of hiring Jim
Leyland as their manager before last season, they hired Charlie Manuel.
Now Leyland has turned the Detroit Tigers
into the best team in baseball, while the Phillies have faded from view
in the face of the Mets’ demolition of the National League East.
It’s always sunny in Philadelphia, isn’t it?
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money