Feb 8, 2008, 3:51 PM EDT
Baseball big wigs are in Las Vegas this week to wheel and deal and try to position their respective rosters to do what the Phillies did in 2008: win the world fricking championship. Not much of note has taken place besides the retirement of Greg Maddox.
We did hear one rumor of a Mets beat writer playing poker at the Mirage with Phillies scribe David Murphy of the Daily News. Murphy was reportedly short stacked for much of the day but sensed weakness in the Mets’ beat writer’s confidence. Murphy got a hot hand late, went all in, and the Mets’ guy folded on the river.
Okay, that was bad. Sorry. A roundup of much of what the babes at the Spearmint Rhino have been chatting about below.
With real news being slow out of the first day in Vegas, we enjoyed Scott Lauber dubbing Ruben Amaro’s new management team "Amaro’s Eleven." Whether they have any skill at robbing other teams remains to be seen. We heard there’s an easy target down in Houston. [News Journal]
He also throws out the familiar name of Randy Wolf as an option if they can’t make Moyer happy. No thanks. [News Journal]
Expect Uncle Cholly to get the contract extension he deserves. [Inquirer]
Jamie Moyer, while haggling with the Phillies over money, is chatting with other clubs. I’ll be surprised if he ends up with another team. The Phils and his agent are likely trying to play hardball. [ESPN]
The Mets are going after K-Rod as one of their closer options and reportedly offered him a three year deal. [Metsblog]
The Phillies are supposedly inquiring about Twins OF Delmon Young. [Daily News]
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|red2gold on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|findingclues4u on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return