Feb 11, 2008, 10:18 AM EST
Back in April of ’06, I posted about the size and length of Ryan Howard’s wood. 35 inches is a big piece of lumber. Sunday’s USA Today has an article about Jack Marucci and the Marucci Bat Co. from which Ryan Howard and Chase Utley get their bats.
Marucci started making bats as a hobby down in Louisiana and now produces about 15,000 bats a year. They also make bats for Mets stars Jose Reyes and David Wright.
Wright, the Mets’ All-Star third baseman,
remembers the hot days of July last season, when he felt a slip at the
plate. He needed to make some adjustments, so he called Marucci.
"I asked him to take an ounce off here, an ounce
off there, thin the handle out a little and send some new bats," Wright
says. He chuckles over the phone. "When you start to have a little
slump, it’s never your fault, it’s always the bat’s fault."
Wright hit .333 in July — and .394 in August. He finished the season as the Mets’ leading hitter (.325).
Some Philly lunatic needs to get this Marucci’s cell phone number and pay him off to start sending Wright the wrong bats.
Also, in continuing along with the homo-erotic nature of this post, here is a video of Ryan Howard in tights.
>>Bat Man of Louisiana Fins Way to Majors by Accident [USA Today]
>>Previously: Ryan Howard Has a Big Stick [The 700 Level]
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages