Feb 11, 2008, 10:18 AM EDT
Back in April of ’06, I posted about the size and length of Ryan Howard’s wood. 35 inches is a big piece of lumber. Sunday’s USA Today has an article about Jack Marucci and the Marucci Bat Co. from which Ryan Howard and Chase Utley get their bats.
Marucci started making bats as a hobby down in Louisiana and now produces about 15,000 bats a year. They also make bats for Mets stars Jose Reyes and David Wright.
Wright, the Mets’ All-Star third baseman,
remembers the hot days of July last season, when he felt a slip at the
plate. He needed to make some adjustments, so he called Marucci.
"I asked him to take an ounce off here, an ounce
off there, thin the handle out a little and send some new bats," Wright
says. He chuckles over the phone. "When you start to have a little
slump, it’s never your fault, it’s always the bat’s fault."
Wright hit .333 in July — and .394 in August. He finished the season as the Mets’ leading hitter (.325).
Some Philly lunatic needs to get this Marucci’s cell phone number and pay him off to start sending Wright the wrong bats.
Also, in continuing along with the homo-erotic nature of this post, here is a video of Ryan Howard in tights.
>>Bat Man of Louisiana Fins Way to Majors by Accident [USA Today]
>>Previously: Ryan Howard Has a Big Stick [The 700 Level]
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money