Jun 20, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Time to round up a few of the boys from my weekly pick-up game and… I’ve just been informed they don’t want me on their team. Something about being old, short, and slow. Jerks.
Well, if you’ve got some friends who are actually good at basketball (unlike mine), you may want to give them a call and put a team together. AND1, the basketball sneaker company founded in Chester County, is celebrating their 20th anniversary this year by hosting an open invitation basketball tournament at Temple University – and you could win a nice chunk of change, too.
Here are the details courtesy Philly.com’s rando-blog Pattison Ave.:
In addition to the tour, AND1 is pulling out a special surprise this summer. In celebration of the brand’s 20th birthday, they are hosting a weekend long, winner-take-all, “Ultimate Summertime Basketball Tournament,” in Philadelphia.
The tournament, which will take place over Labor Day weekend at Temple University’s Liacouras Center, has open team tryouts and boasts a $100,000 prize for the first-place team.
There will also be a dunk contest, with $10,000 going to the first place participant.
The location of the tournament coincides with the fact that AND1 was founded in Philadelphia.
Besides sneakers, AND1 was best known for the street ball tapes they used to market their products – not to date myself, but we’re talking VHS here. The videos were famous for trick dribbling and high-flying slam dunks.
This sounds like a straight-up basketball tournament though, so if you’ve got the background, fundamentals, and athleticism to give teams from across the country a run for the money, it might be worth looking into. If you’ve got nothing better to do over Labor Day weekend, it might even be worth spectating.
More details on the poster below, but all this talking about the AND1 tapes reminded me of this:
>> AND1 to host 100k basketball tournament in Philadelphia [Pattison Ave.]
|galasso2586 on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Marvin Monroe on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Jason R. on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|that guy on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money