Jul 14, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
Say what you want about these Phillies. They may be too old, make too many poor decisions, and simply may not have what it takes.
You can’t say they weren’t trying their absolute hardest to win on Saturday though. I mean, Jimmy Rollins faceplanting into home to score a game-winning run wasn’t even the most impressive effort on the day.
That honor goes to none other than Ben Revere, who was sadly lost to a broken foot Ryan Howard style on the final at bat in Game 1 of the Fightins’ double header against the White Sox. Revere fouled a ball off the inside of his foot/ankle, and X-rays after the game were positive – which of course means bad.
We say X-rays “after the game” not just because it ended shortly thereafter, but because Revere stayed in to finish the at bat. He actually saw three more pitches from Chicago closer Addison Reed before hitting into the game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
For a guy who could barely walk back to the dugout afterwards, he surprisingly almost beat the throw to first. Only a minute or two earlier he was busy writhing around in the dirt.
Not sure if the Phils’ 25-year-old centerfielder was aware or not at the time that Charlie Manuel had used up their bench already after 11 innings. Doesn’t make it any less gutsy or impressive either way.
Of course, all this talk about how Revere tried to tough one out for the team overshadows the fact that he’ll be absent for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time, which will surely be awhile – weeks to months. He had raised his batting average to a very strong .305 prior to the injury, plus is in the midst of a 10-game hitting streak. Huge loss obviously.
Huge 5-3 loss in Game 1 of the double header as well. The Sox did all they could to hand it over to the Phillies, putting a runner on third with no outs via balk in the ninth, then again with one out in the tenth via error. All they had to do was hit a somewhat decent fly ball.
Can’t believe these two teams are going back at it a mere 12 hours later. This has got to be the most looked-forward to All-Star break in quite some time for most of these guys.
>> Revere suffers broken right foot on foul ball (w/video) [MLB]
>> BOX SCORE [Yahoo!]
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return