Jul 14, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
Say what you want about these Phillies. They may be too old, make too many poor decisions, and simply may not have what it takes.
You can’t say they weren’t trying their absolute hardest to win on Saturday though. I mean, Jimmy Rollins faceplanting into home to score a game-winning run wasn’t even the most impressive effort on the day.
That honor goes to none other than Ben Revere, who was sadly lost to a broken foot Ryan Howard style on the final at bat in Game 1 of the Fightins’ double header against the White Sox. Revere fouled a ball off the inside of his foot/ankle, and X-rays after the game were positive – which of course means bad.
We say X-rays “after the game” not just because it ended shortly thereafter, but because Revere stayed in to finish the at bat. He actually saw three more pitches from Chicago closer Addison Reed before hitting into the game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
For a guy who could barely walk back to the dugout afterwards, he surprisingly almost beat the throw to first. Only a minute or two earlier he was busy writhing around in the dirt.
Not sure if the Phils’ 25-year-old centerfielder was aware or not at the time that Charlie Manuel had used up their bench already after 11 innings. Doesn’t make it any less gutsy or impressive either way.
Of course, all this talk about how Revere tried to tough one out for the team overshadows the fact that he’ll be absent for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time, which will surely be awhile – weeks to months. He had raised his batting average to a very strong .305 prior to the injury, plus is in the midst of a 10-game hitting streak. Huge loss obviously.
Huge 5-3 loss in Game 1 of the double header as well. The Sox did all they could to hand it over to the Phillies, putting a runner on third with no outs via balk in the ninth, then again with one out in the tenth via error. All they had to do was hit a somewhat decent fly ball.
Can’t believe these two teams are going back at it a mere 12 hours later. This has got to be the most looked-forward to All-Star break in quite some time for most of these guys.
>> Revere suffers broken right foot on foul ball (w/video) [MLB]
>> BOX SCORE [Yahoo!]
|Davey u on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages