Jun 24, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
What are the odds that another outfielder was having his “catch” ruled a live ball for the exact same reason on the exact same day as the controversial Ben Revere play? Probably astronomical, but it also happened to the Red Sox in Detroit on Sunday.
Here’s the video. Daniel Nava makes a basket catch at the warning track in right field, but as he reaches into his glove to pull the ball out, it rolls down his wrist and falls to the ground. The batter is ruled safe, and an argument ensues.
Two different umpires. Two different ballparks. Same day. Same call. And both of them are wrong?
In the Boston case, we actually have an explanation – one that fits the Revere play as well. Here is crew chief Ted Barrett defending Mike DiMuro’s ruling:
“To have a catch, you have to have complete control and voluntary release,” said crew chief Ted Barrett, the third base umpire. “(DiMuro) had him with control, but did not have the voluntary release. When he flipped the ball out of his glove, he never got it into his hand. That’s not voluntary release.”
Revere’s release is not considered voluntary because it was never in his hand before it landed on the ground. Oh, he voluntarily dropped it out of his glove. He did not voluntarily or intentionally drop it on to the ground though. That is an important distinction, presumably because voluntary/intentional actions demonstrate control, which is ultimately what the fielder must prove.
(To answer the question, “Didn’t Revere control the ball long enough before the release?” – roughly one second elapsed between the ball landing in his glove to when it hit the ground, so the answer would be no.)
Those are the rules. Revere may have caught the ball from Merriam Webster’s point of view, but as far as Major League Baseball is concerned this was not a catch.
|33 on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|willh888 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages