Aug 16, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
It’s a sad day in Philadelphia. And the true end of one of the most magical eras in Philly sports history.
Charlie Manuel is out as Manager of the Philadelphia Phillies.
It’s hard to blame Charlie for this team’s struggles. There’s not a lot a manager can do to get a mediocre ball club to perform above its capabilities. I don’t know how you use Manuel as a scapegoat for this team.
On a personal note, covering sports can often be a drag, but getting the opportunity to sit next to Charlie Manuel in the Phillies dugout before games and listen to him talk baseball for 10-15 minutes at a time was one of the most fulfilling aspects of running this website. The guy lives and breathes baseball.
Hearing him exclaim “This is for Philadelphia!” after winning the 2008 World Series is one of our fondest memories.
Charlie will be missed.
The Charlie news has been reported by multiple outlets. Jim Salisbury had it first. Watch the press conference live here at 2:30 pm.
|steve wilson on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|drew on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|Helen on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|DMtShooter on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages